Central School of Practical Nursing

Go Back

History

Central School of Practical Nursing was an innovation in nursing education in 1937 when two Cleveland philanthropists founded the program to fill a local need for licensed home care nurses. Central School of Practical Nursing was the first licensed practical nursing program in the state of Ohio, and was one of the first few programs of its kind in the entire United States.

CSPN’s nursing program has earned and maintained a reputation of excellence in the Northeast Ohio health care community. Central’s curriculum and techniques have evolved to reflect the complex and fast-changing world of health care. The mission of Central School of Practical Nursing is to educate a diverse group of adult learners from Cleveland and its surrounding areas in the field of practical nursing, thereby increasing the capacity of Cleveland’s healthcare workforce.

Central School of Practical Nursing’s history is rich with community partnerships. Before it became an independent nonprofit institution in 1962, CSPN operated under the umbrella of the Family Health Association. Since Central's founding, the School has had clinical affiliations with most of the area’s major health care institutions. Today, CSPN maintains clinical partnerships with a variety of local hospitals, long-term care facilities, and outpatient/day centers. This wide range of agencies, from acute care facilities to community health programs, represents the variety of settings where licensed practical nurses find employment.

Today, CSPN is located at 4700 Rockside Road, in the Summit Park Offices of Independence, Ohio. The facility offers two classrooms, a simulated learning laboratory, a library resource center, and a large student lounge. Its convenient location and outstanding reputation attract a diverse group of students from Northeast Ohio.